Monday, August 10, 2015

Dare to Dream

"To achieve great things, we must dream as well as do."
Anatole France


Wow!  It's almost here.  The beginning of a new school year.  We've purchased the new backpacks and lunch boxes.  New clothes hang fresh and clean in the closets.  The soles of new shoes are bright white, unscathed, yet to experience the joy of play, blacktops, and gym class.

Am I ready?  Not quite yet... but I will be.  Our students are excited and nervous and I think I feel the same.  All of you should know by now that I am here for you: willing to listen, wanting to talk, an advocate for you and our students, a positive believer in the power of shared leadership, public education, staff and student voice.

I continually try to work on my personal mission statement and it is always difficult.  It is a work in progress but overall I believe...
-my life is my message to the world.  I need to make it inspiring.
-assume the best in others.  There is greatness in everyone.
-when you lead to teach, you teach to lead.

My greatest fear is that I cannot be everything to all people: to all of you, to my family, to the parents that entrust us with their children.  I will try.  Yet, I hope you know that balance is best.  I always want you to be your best too.  Take time for yourself.  Take time for your families.  Ask questions.  Ask for help.  I truly believe that the best leaders are humble.  I too will have lots of questions as we begin this journey.  If I don't know the answer to your question, be patient.  I will find it!

Big Rocks

  • Welcome to our new staff!  
    • A big welcome to our new Assistant Principal, Kristi Collyer!  We are so excited to have her bring her Leader in Me experience to Cooper.  
    • Also, we would like to welcome our new physical education teacher Lorraine Giorgino.  We have heard wonderful things from Webster and are excited to have her on board.  
    • We are sad to report that Annette Garbutt will be leaving us.  After several summers working with K-1 students at Camp Emerson, Annette felt called back to the classroom.  While we are so sad for her to leave us, we are happy for the students who she will impact and wish her much success!  We would like to welcome Jason Sproule to Cooper as our new Instructional Technology teacher.  
    • Additionally, we would like to welcome Dawn Redmond to Cooper.  Dawn will be our new 6th grade teacher.  Linda Cohan will be moving to 5th grade at her request.  They will both be fabulous.  Please lend your helping hands to all!
  • Jeff is working 6:30-2:30.  You may come up to the school anytime this week between those times.  Enter through his office.  I can check if there is more time available later than 2:00.  
  • Kristi and I are back on the 18th!  We are at an Opening Day Administrator's Leadership Team meeting at Schoolcraft that day.  We should be at Cooper at least 8:00-4:00 the rest of the weeks.  
Calendar
8/18/15 Administrators return
8/24/25 Secretaries return
8/28 5th Grade and New Student Orientation A-M 9:00-10:00, N-Z 10:30-11:30
8/31 Cooper Teacher Work Day
        6th Grade Packet Pick-Up (We'll keep students away from your rooms!)
        5th Grade and New Student Evening Orientation 6:00-7:00
9/1 Level Up LPS PD 8:00-3:30
9/2 Science PD 8:00-3:30
9/3 Cooper LEAD PD with Charles Fonbuena 8:00-3:30
9/8 1st Day
9/10 Howell Nature Center Parent meeting
9/14 5th Grade Open House/Curriculum Night
9/21 6th Grade Open House/Curriculum Night
10/12-10/14 6th Grade Camp: Kopacko/Mansour, Kimball/Webster, Lietz/Erickson
10/14-10/16 6th Grade Camp: Martin/Spence, McGlinch/Daraskavitch, Backiel/Redmond

No comments:

Post a Comment