Sunday, April 10, 2016

Live, Learn, Evolve

Recently at a district meeting, one of our directors said to me, "Sarah, every time I see you, you are quoting an article or recommending a new book.  You have four kids at home.  How do you find the time?"  From a very young age, I have always had my nose in a book.  I can't fall asleep at night without reading at least a few pages of a book.  I have always been a reader but I also feel strongly that our job as educators is to be continuous learners.

Last year, Judy and I shared how we use Twitter as a Personal Learning Network at a staff meeting and Level Up 2.0.  Twitter has become one of my go-to places for professional learning.  The newest research, lastest articles, and most popular TED talks are always at my fingertips.  If I have a few minutes to spare, I can quickly read an article, tweet something positive, ask a question, or connect with a colleague.   Recently, I shared how I was invited to join the Compelled Tribe through Twitter and blogging.  Other Compelled Tribe bloggers now connect with me on Twitter to share their posts and dialogue around issues in education.  Finally, I recently discovered that I can download TED talk podcasts and listen to them on my runs.  My time is precious and if I can run and learn something at the same time, I'm all in!

One of the books I'm currently reading is Primary Greatness by Stephen Covey.  In regards to lifelong learning he states, "People must accept the personal responsibility to upgrade their knowledge and skills, to become more and more tech-savvy, to read widely, and to become aware of the powerful forces that are operating in their environment.  They may need to gain or regain a liberal or fine-arts education, in addition to keeping up on what is happening in the world of technology and science, because the arts increase the capacity of the mind to keep learning.  They also need to develop a value system that supersedes technology and science, so that they live well with the internal side of their nature.  Those who do those three things will find that their influence will expand far beyond their immediate vision and beyond their business and their family, their children, and their community.  They will make the great contribution they are capable of making."

How do you keep a commitment to lifelong learning?  How do you grow personally and professionally?  Comment below or share the last book, article, TED talk, etc that you read or watched.

My book pile next to my bed.  (Pre and Post Clean Up.  Yes, that really is a library receipt sitting on top.)




Leader In Me Conference-A big thank you to Sally and Lauren for their braveness and willingness to demonstrate their leadership, personal and professional growth by presenting with our past and present Cooper Leaders.

Just Some of the TED Talks I've Listened to Since Learning about Podcasts: :)
  • Teach Girls Bravery, Not Perfection: Reshma Saujani
  • A Delightful Way to Teach Kids About Computers: Linda Liukas
  • How to Fix a Broken School: Lead Fearlessly, Love Hard: Linda Cliatt
  • Success, Failure, and the Drive to Keep Creating: Elizabeth Gilbert
  • How Childhood Trauma Affects Health Across a Lifetime: Nadine Burke Harris
Quotes: 

"Like wildflowers, you must allow yourself to grow in all the places people thought you never would."
-E.V
"Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change." 
-Tony Robbins

Big Rocks:
M-STEP is here!  We will be in the labs with you.  Please come and get your tickets right before your testing time.  If you have any problems, please call us.  We will call our District Coordinator, Kathy Baldwin, if help is needed.  Remember, this is just a small part of what we do!

Thank you to everyone who met with us regarding feedback on our strengths and challenges at Cooper.  There were several people who were still interested in meeting.  We will hold another meeting Wednesday morning 8:00-8:20.  We are happy to meet individually as well.  Let us know if you plan on coming Wednesday or another day.

Our Leadership Showcase, Art Fair, and Book Fair will be held this Thursday!  We are excited to see our leaders showcase their leadership.  More information will be coming this week regarding set-up.  Thank you to Angie for handling and organizing all of the forms!

For 6th Grade teachers, Cathy Grieg and Elaine Kramer recently emailed the 6 to 7th grade placement for math and ELA.  They would like all feedback by April 14th.  Please let us know if you have any questions.

Calendar for the Week of April, 11 2016: 
Monday: M-STEP Begins
               11:45 Student Lighthouse
                1:00-4:00 OSS meeting (Kristi)
Tuesday: M-STEP
                3:45 Lighthouse Meeting
                5:30-7:30 DSIT (Sarah)
Wednesday: M-STEP
                    8:00-8:20 Strengths and Challenges Feedback Meeting
Thursday: M-STEP
                 8:00 Staff meeting
                 1:30 Expulsion Hearing (Sarah)
                 5:30-8:00 Book Fair, Art Show, and Leadership Showcase
                End of Marking Period
Friday: Work Day
            
                 





4 comments:

  1. I have been keeping Amazon and Barnes & Noble in business lately with everything I can find related to makerspaces, genius hour and pirates. I have started many of them, but realistically, many will be read during the summer. The current student book I'm reading is Serafina and the Black Cloak.

    The Innovator's Mindset - George Couras
    Teach Like a Pirate, Learn Like a Pirate, Explore Like a Pirate, Play Like a Pirate
    The Art of Tinkering
    Ditch That Textbook
    Genius Hour Guidebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I identified a lot with your post. Reading has been a great PD tool as an educator. Since I found Twitter, it is definitely my "go to" for staying current. It's wonderful that, even as a busy mom, you can be a role model for other educators around you!

    Jacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel my sharpest when I'm in school myself - despite how crazy busy I am. I feel connected to my field in a real-time way. So, here I am in a second grad program.
    :-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Thank you for being such a great model of a life long learner! Like you, I love to learn from others on Twitter and through our Compelled Tribe of bloggers. I've been lucky to be a part of Leadership Matters cohort 7 and have learned so much from my team and the readings we do. I really do love being a student:) keep up the bloggy excellence!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete